After some investigation, the reported error above was easily fixed.

As it is clearly explained
on Windows the default configuration of MySql doesn't allow default value
for BLOB type. Setting sql_mode to "MYSQL40" in my.ini solves the problem.

But an error can hide another, and at the next run rb-site complained about
a field "diff_base64" which couldn't be added because it was present

I guess that the origin of the problem is a previous unsuccessful upgrade
attempt to reviewboard 1.7. Some database changes shouldn't have been
reverted properly.

This database schema problem could be very difficult to fix, I think I'm
better off setting up a new reviewboard site from scratch. And from now
backing up my database before every upgrade !

Happy user? Let us know at