Hi Steve,

Local sites aren't something that are deeply exposed. They're usable,
certainly, but my feeling is that you may really want two instances.

With Local Sites, you can basically have a path that goes to a specific
site, which certain people will have access to. However, in your case,
everything that already exists on the server will be independent of  a
Local Site, so you'd be in this weird setup where some things are at,
/r/123, and some are at /s/sitename/r/456.

We built Local Sites originally for RBCommons.com, our Review Board SaaS. I
don't know if anyone out there has used them for any other installations.
Possibly, and you could certainly try it, but there may be some gotchas.