Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know of the other hosting options until
you posted them.

I have resolved the 403 issue on my current installation. I had to add the
following line to the httpd-vhosts.conf

"Require all granted"
        <Directory "/var/www/reviewboard/htdocs">
                AllowOverride All
                Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks
                Allow from all
                Require all granted
        </Directory>

http://dabase.com/blog/AH01630:_client_denied_by_server_configuration/

Once I restarted apache, the reviewboard pages started being served
correctly.