I had Review Board 1.7.7.1 on our testing environment running successfully
on production clone db.

I did a model change because of which it asked for running a evolution
manually. We ran it and it was successful.

Now when we went for upgrade on production db, it asked for manual
evolution because of last change. Now when I ran the manual evolution it
gave error.

Error:

Error: Error applying evolution: (1060, "Duplicate column name
'diff_base64'")*   **--------- manual evolution failed***

*I reverted the last change we made and evolution was successful, it
doesn't ask for manual evolution*

bash-3.2# /opt/software/bin/rb-site upgrade /var/www/xyz.com

 ----------------- <begin log output> ------------------

Creating tables ...

There are unapplied evolutions for auth.

There are unapplied evolutions for accounts.

There are unapplied evolutions for diffviewer.

There are unapplied evolutions for reviews.

There are unapplied evolutions for scmtools.

Project signature has changed - an evolution is required

Installing custom SQL ...

Installing indexes ...

Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)

Evolution successful.

------------------- <end log output> -------------------

 Resetting in-database caches.

 Upgrade complete!

*After this I modified to include the last change as part of enhancement
and ran the upgrade again, it asked for manual evolution and ran
successfully:*

bash-3.2# /opt/software/bin/rb-site upgrade /var/www/xyz.com

------------------ <begin log output> ------------------

Creating tables ...

Project signature has changed - an evolution is required

Installing custom SQL ...

Installing indexes ...

Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)

The stored evolutions do not completely resolve all model changes.

Run `./manage.py evolve --hint` to see a suggestion for the changes
required.       ---- asking for manual evolution

The following are the changes that could not be resolved:

In model reviews.FileAttachmentComment:

    Field 'severity' has been
added
                                ---- change we made as part of enhancement

Error: Your models contain changes that Django Evolution cannot resolve

 automatically.

bash-3.2# /opt/software/bin/python2.7 ./reviewboard/manage.py evolve --hint
--execute

/opt/software/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pycrypto-2.6-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/Crypto/Util/number.py:57:

PowmInsecureWarning: Not using mpz_powm_sec.

You should rebuild using libgmp >= 5 to avoid timing attack vulnerability.

You have requested a database evolution. This will alter tables

and data currently in the 'default' database, and may result in

IRREVERSABLE DATA LOSS. Evolutions should be *thoroughly* reviewed

prior to execution

Are you sure you want to execute the evolutions?

Type 'yes' to continue, or 'no' to cancel: yes

Evolution successful.

*This behavior of django evolution is strange. Why didn't it ran with the
change at once and gave the * "Duplicate column name 'diff_base64'" error.

*Is there any logic for this, why it failed ?*