Hi Chris,

What we really need is a patch that doesn't break compatibility with prior
versions. I'm happy to commit such a patch for the next release.

We're looking into a full rewrite of search that won't depend on PyLucene
at all. It won't happen for 1.7.x, but it will ensure that search will work
out of the box for all users without these sort of breakages.

Christian