You're going to have that problem either way.

PIL should be compatible with 2.7. We use it. Most likely, your Linux
distro provides a package for it, usually under the name "python-imaging"
or similar.

Make sure you do not use pip for anything Review Board-related. Use
easy_install only. pip, while popular, does not support many of the
packaging features we require.