To mimic your email practice, about creating review groups containing all
reviewers and then specifically calling out "required" reviewers in
target-people ?

You could enforce that policy via an external API or an extension. We don't
use the above policy exactly, but we do have a script that applies our
policy in order to close reviews.

Hope that helps.

Mark