On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 08:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Allen <zhangsan8...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Does anybody familiar with the Hook system of ReviewBoard?
> The thing is my team really needs a feature that requires ReviewBoard to
> create a Jira ticket along with a new code review request.
> Write an extension is too much work for me and I also dont think it`s a
> good idea to directly modify the source code of ReviewBoard, so I am
> wondering is it possible to just write a script, and when a new code
review

> request is published, the ReviewBoard will trigger my script which will
do
> the Jira ticket creation?
> I have looked into the Hook`s documentation but did not get any helpful
> information.

We initially implemented a reviewboard extension to add the reviewboard URL
to JIRA tickets in a "Code Review URL" field and update the issue status to
"In Code Review". What we discovered is that, since the operation is
synchronous with JIRA, it slowed down submitting changes to reviewboard.
Also, when JIRA dies (not an uncommon occurrence), the request to update
the JIRA issue can just puke in the log file, cause reviewboard timeouts,
and is then subsequently lost.

To mitigate these problems, we implemented a cron job that polls for the
latest reviewboard changes and updates JIRA out-of-band. The cron job uses
the rbtools and jira-python modules. The downside is that the JIRA issue
updating is not instantaneous.

Cheers,