FWIW, I don't think it is ignoring the existing index, I think it's just
that haystack's output is a little confusing.

If you'd like to switch over, haystack uses new indexing commands:

rb-site manage /path/to/site rebuild_index
rb-site manage /path/to/site update_index

The old "index" command is now just a small wrapper around these.

-David