The 0.6c* series of setuptools are considered heavily legacy at this point.
A lot of has happened in the world of Python packaging over the past year
or so, including new standards around package versioning, lookup, naming,
etc. So it's possible something is messed up there.

That said, I would still expect that version to find the packages, having
looked into it further. I'm wondering if perhaps a proxy server is getting
in the way. Worth trying to install with:

    export http_proxy=<proxy server>
    export https_proxy=<proxy server>
    easy_install <args>