Sorry to revive this from the dead, but I'm also trying to use the
`RemoteUserAuthBackend`, but against reviewboard 2.0.X.

I have it working from a "I can hit this site and get an account that's
populated" perspective. We ignore the auth config when hitting any /api/
routes since some scripts would have to jump through hoops to do things
other than basic auth for that endpoint. The issue I'm fighting with is
that when the UI makes AJAX requests to the api, even though it sends the
session cookie and id, returned from the set-cookie header, I get prompted
for a username and password (due to the WWW-Authenticate header).

Do you have any thoughts on this?