On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Adam B <a...@mesosphere.io> wrote:

>
>
> > On May 28, 2015, 10:40 a.m., Adam B wrote:
> > > Do you clearly understand why this change is needed? I didn't
> understand after just reading the JIRA, and had to ask the reporter(s).
> Mesosphere is hosting the Mesos UI(s) underneath the DCOS UI behind a
> reverse proxy, so that `http://<dcos_host:port>/mesos` shows the Mesos
> UI, and `http://<dcos_host:port>/mesos/help/foo` should show the
> appropriate help path.
> > >
> > > How did you test this? Please fill out the "Testing" section
> appropriately.
> >
> > Marco Massenzio wrote:
> >     FWIW - this has nothing to do with DCOS and/or reverse proxy: just
> run Mesos on your localhost, and you can see the bug in action.
> >     Essentially, the URL generating logic is faulty, and adds and extra
> `/help` segment to the URL path for the JSON payload.
> >
> >     Launch master, open `localhost:5050/help` in your browser and click
> any of the links; you'll see a generic 'page not found' - in the URL
> address, remove the `/help` segment and you'll see the JSON payload just
> fine.
>
> I disagree. You may be confused because some of these endpoints do not
> have their help strings populated.


this is correct in more ways than one :)

what you say may be true, but it's certainly NOT how the /help endpoint is
being used today: I've had at least 2/3 people using the /help page as some
sort or "URL directory", hitting the links, then removing the "help/"
segment with a grin and a "someone should fix this" comment...

if  the _expected_ behavior of the /help endpoint is documented somewhere -
could you please point to us? also, are there any Jiras about filling in
the "empty" pages (they do look like "glorified 404s" as opposed to "under
construction" pages.

Thanks for clarifying, Adam!


> For those that do, hitting a url like
> localhost:5050/help/master/tasks.json will actually show real help
> information. For those that don't, e.g.
> localhost:5050/help/master/state.json, you should see the "No help page for
> /master/state.json" message.
>
> These /help links are not supposed to take you to the actual json payload
> for state.json or tasks.json, but to a help page explaining the usage and
> description for each endpoint, or a list of nested endpoints so you can
> browse to their respective help pages. Remove the `/help` from the URL and
> you will get the actual endpoint.
>
> However, in a reverse proxy situation (like DCOS), the Mesos UI might be
> reached by proxyhost:8080/mesos, and the links from
> proxyhost:8080/mesos/help will take you to proxyhost:8080/help/master
> instead of proxyhost:8080/mesos/help/master. In this case we still want the
> `/help` so that we see the help pages, but we want the links to use
> relative urls instead of the absolute `/help`.
>
>
> > On May 28, 2015, 10:40 a.m., Adam B wrote:
> > > 3rdparty/libprocess/src/help.cpp, line 140
> > > <
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/diff/1/?file=971486#file971486line140>
> > >
> > >     Why does this '/help/' need to be removed?
> >
> > Marco Massenzio wrote:
> >     because it's wrong - it shouldn't be there.
>
> I disagree. We need the `help/` so that we link to the help page nested
> under this one, but we don't want it to be an absolute `/help/` in the
> event of a reverse proxy. The solution may be as easy as removing the
> leading `/` from `/help/` on this line.
>
>
> - Adam
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/#review85571
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> On May 28, 2015, 12:54 a.m., haosdent huang wrote:
> >
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> > https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > (Updated May 28, 2015, 12:54 a.m.)
> >
> >
> > Review request for mesos, Adam B, Marco Massenzio, and Michael Lunøe.
> >
> >
> > Bugs: MESOS-2748
> >     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-2748
> >
> >
> > Repository: mesos
> >
> >
> > Description
> > -------
> >
> > Use relative url in /help generated links point
> >
> >
> > Diffs
> > -----
> >
> >   3rdparty/libprocess/src/help.cpp
> 85e1bdec8d7e8f46477d0f3d88847baeca2dcc9c
> >
> > Diff: https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/diff/
> >
> >
> > Testing
> > -------
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > haosdent huang
> >
> >
>
>

Reply via email to