Hi Dmitri, well...we solved our problem to our satisfaction but it turned
out to be something unexpected.

The keys were two properties mentioned in a blog post on "configuring
Riak’s oft-subtle behavioral characteristics":
http://basho.com/posts/technical/riaks-config-behaviors-part-4/

notfound_ok= false
basic_quorum=true

The 2nd one just makes things a little faster, but the first one is the one
whose default value of true was killing us.

With r=1 and notfound_ok=true (default) the first node to respond, if it
didn't find the requested key, the authoritative answer was "this key is
not found". Not what we were expecting at all.

With the changed settings, it will wait for a quorum of responses and only
if *no one* finds the key will "not found" be returned. Perfect. (Without
this setting it would wait for all responses, not ideal.)

Now there is only one snag, which is that if the Riak node the client
connects to goes down, there will be no communication and we have a
problem. This is easily solvable with a load-balancer, though for
complicated reasons we actually don't need to do that right now. It's just
acceptable for us temporarily. Later, we'll get the load-balancer working
and even that won't be a problem.

I *think* we're ok now. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Vanessa