On 14 Jul 2017, at 17:26, Alexander Sicular <sicul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I love your enthusiasm Lloyd. How about starting with a slack channel
> and take it from there…

What’s wrong with the existing IRC channel?

> Things that would kinda need to happen for Riak to grow beyond where it is
> now:

Grow? Surely we’re just talking survival and maintenance in the first instance.
Security for those orgs that depend on it. Growth was the problem, right?

> - complete rebranding. Basho is dead. The term "Riak" may be encumbered.

What do you mean “encumbered”? Riak is the name of an Apache2 licensed open
source database, so it can continue to be used to describe that apache 2
licensed database, please don’t spread FUD.

> - new everything. name. domain. github repo. bla bla bla.

Again, I don’t agree. Why a new name? Obviously the basho domain is off limits,
but why does that matter, any great content on there? Or just cartoon guys?

Numerous orgs already have full forks of all repos, and all the issues copied,
and pull request histories etc. This wasn’t a surprise.

> Instead of a framework, how can the Riak codebase actually become an
> Apache project?

Personally not sure of the benefit of being an apache project.

Russell

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM,  <ll...@writersglen.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to do the legwork in Boston and
>> put up a very modest contribution toward up-front cost with hope of recovery
>> through registrations.
>>

>> Boston has conference spaces of all sizes. I would imagine a conference on
>> the future of open-source Riak would be a fairly intimate group. I'm also
>> imagining a fairly bare-bones event to minimize cost of registration.
>> Registration cost should be just enough to cover the venue and nibbles.
>>

>> Just to kick off brain-storming:
>>

>> 1. Say two days--- Friday and Saturday
>>
>> 2. Friday: Invite short (20 minute) proposals on key topics
>>
>>     a. Clarifying legal issues
>>
>>     b. Technical road map
>>
>>     c. Organizational framework; e.g. ala Apache Foundation or some such
>>
>>     d. Marketing; e.g. expanding the open-source community
>>
>> 3. Saturday (or Saturday morning)
>>
>>     Discussion sessions with goal of recommendations for moving forward
>>

>> How to get from here to there:
>>

>> 1. Is there enough interest on the mailing list?
>>
>> 2. How can we pin down an agenda?
>>
>> 3. Can we get corporate sponsorships to minimize registration?
>>
>> 4. How can we most widely promote the event?
>>
>> 5. What else?
>>

>> All the best,
>>

>> Lloyd

>>> Senthil