>this discussion has gone too far from the starting point. The question
>really isn't "neutrons Yes/No", but if all of us have equal access to all
>sources. People from both NIST, Grenoble or RAL would, no doubt, answer
>yes, why not ?  Well, if I were there I wouldn't hesitate for a moment,
>but if I am outside, there are plenty of time and financial but NO
>scientific constraints. I think the most of us would be happy if they
>could access neutron sources as easily as their in-lab machines.
>Do not agree, please. The days before GLASGOW are so boring ...

Sorry, Lubo, but I agree. However, when you speak of easy access
to a lab machine, you should account for some little problems
that sometimes lead to long breakdown. Breakdowns are democratically
distributed, even at ILL with the long reactor shutdown. Here with a
brand new Bruker D8 powder diffractometer, we had not access to
the machine longer than 3 months since December 1998, due to
problems with bad ceramic tubes, random stop of the stepping
motors, files not saved at the end of measurements and so on.
Youth problems, may be. Have the happy buyers of the D8
similar problems (the Bruker mailing list if completely silent) ??

Armel
Armel Le Bail - Universite du Maine, Laboratoire des Fluorures,
CNRS ESA 6010, Av. O. Messiaen, 72085 Le Mans Cedex 9, France
http://www.cristal.org/