-----Original Message-----
From: Von Dreele, Robert B. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Stephen (& others),
I know there have been a number of replies to this since P2/n does have an
inversion center which is positioned at the unit cell origin. However, if
the space group is Pn (or P2) then the location of the origin is arbitrary
on one or more axes. GSAS does "automatically" handle this by forcing the
first and second atoms to have the opposite shifts for each of the arbitrary
axes. So in Pn the shifts for atom #1 will be sx,sy,sz and for atom #2 they
will be -sx,sy',-sz, i.e. the sx & sz shifts will be opposite but identical
for these two atoms while each will have it's own sy. Beware, different
damping applied to these atoms will make it drift as the applied shifts
won't be equal & opposite. If you do not want this to happen then put in
your own "hold" on the appropriate coordinates for one atom or else put in
your own constraint.
Bob Von Dreele