Dear Brian,

It is 10:30 pm here, and I am supposed to be taking a day off tomorrow to
be with my new grand-daughter :-) But I find PDF so interesting that I
can't resist replying.

> I would argue that the Bragg &
> diffuse scattering both reflect the average instantaneous atomic
> structure.

Yes. If you integrate over energy, the scattering function factors to a
delta function in time, corresponding to an instantaneous snapshot of the
spatial correlations. It is not a question of Bragg or diffuse scattering.

> In the case where PDF shows split sites and the Rietveld
> gives the high symmetry site, this is really a failure of our
> crystallographic modeling techniques, as the split model should really
> do a better job with the Bragg-only data, too.

Yes. The Bragg-only data is perfectly adequate for periodic structures -
even those that contain two types of atoms disordered on the same site but
with different co-ordinates - a split atom model, as Bob said.

> As Paolo pointed out
> before I could finish this e-mail, the place where the PDF is different
> from "crystallographic" results is that the former will reflect
> correlation in interatomic distances.

Hmm. The diffuse (non-Bragg) scattering contains information about
short-range spatial correlations. Suppose we have a super-structure
condensing as short range islands. This will produce diffuse super-lattice
peaks that we will miss with Rietveld refinement. I suppose that PDF
refinement might pick that up.

> The other idea you raise, could one use the entire range of Q, up to
> 25 A-1 or even 50 A-1 in Rietveld to me raises a more profound question...
> Perhaps in the quest for fundamental parameters, someone should
> develop a Rietveld code that uses additional background & empty
> container scans (as is done to obtain the PDF) so that instrumental
> background is derived rather than fit in Rietveld. Then we could then
> have ADPs on an true absolute scale (something more important IMHO than
> relating every blip in peak shape to something intrinsic to the
> instrument or sample.)

I thought that had been done by people non-constrained by beam-time
allocation :-) So long as we are only looking for the periodic structure,
and we are prepared to take the same care with Rietveld and PDF
backgrounds, the methods should be equivalent.

> Simon and I just published a paper in Acta A on error analysis with
> models fit to PDFs.

I'll have to read that, because I don't quite understand how you do the
count statistics after the Fourier transform. I suppose it must be
possible, since the liquids and amorphous people :-) do it.

> The results: s.u. from models fit to PDFs (if done right) are equivalent
>  to those of Rietveld (for the same reasons why Bill David et al can do
> a  Pawley fit and then get the same esd's by fitting to the extracted
> I's).

Well, that is an old chestnut that Cooper and Rollet used to oppose to
Rietveld refinement. I think Rollet eventually agreed that Rietveld was
the better method. Has Bill really gone back on that ?

> However, s.u.'s from a PDF model fit values should be smaller,
> since it  typically uses more data.

Typically but not necessarily ? Alan.




Reply via email to