> So I cannot let say that "Significantly different "physical"
> size distributions could describe equally well the peak profile".
> This is confusing. You may say that : significantly different
> crystallite shapes could describe equally well the peak profile
> in cubic symmetry. I am not sure that this sentence is
> valuable equally for other symmetries when looking at all

Sorry, it seems me that rather your sentence is confusing, not mine.

In the example with CeO2 the crystallites are quite spherical
(one shape) even seen by microscope. But two significantly different
distributions of the
sphere radius (6a1, 6a2) (lognormal & gamma, respectively) given quite the
same column length distribution
(6b1, 6b2) and practically the same peak profile. It is no matter here of
different crystallite shapes because the shape is unique (sphere). And also
the cubic symmetry has no relevance, this should happen for any symmetry (I
mean not an unique solution for the sphere radius distribution).
(By the way, the sample of CeO2 in discussion is just the sample used in the
round-robin paper that you co-authored; in this last paper we used only the
lognormal distribution, but doesn't mean that this is the unique solution
from powder diffraction).

Concerning the different crystallite shapes, this is another storry. I said
that even if the cristallites are not spherical, it is not obligatory to
observe an anisotropic size broadening effect. Not spherical crystallites is
only the necessary condition for size anisotropy effect, but not sufficient.
The anisotropic size broadening effect is observable only if the non
spherical shape is preferentially orientated with respect to the crystal
axes (don't confuse with the texture). It is the case of your nickel
hydroxyde in which the plate-like normal is preferentially oriented along
the hexagonal c axis. But, if the not spherical crystallite shapes are
randomly oriented with respect to the crystal axes (which is possible) the
size broadening effect is isotropic and, only from powder diffraction, we
can conclude erroneously that the crystallites are spherical.
On the other hand, if the anisotropy is observed, the crystallite shape (and
the distributions of specific radii) can not be uniquely determined only
from powder diffraction. What we can determine is an apparent shape (and
column lengths averages). Has any sense, in this case, to search for so
called "physical models", or we have to be content with "phenomenological"
findings (so much blamed, at least implicitely)? It is only a question,
valid also for the strain effect.

> So, let us have more fun with a size strain round robin on some
> complex sample  (or even a size-only round robin not on a
> cubic compound ;-).

I agree entirely.

Best wishes,
Nicolae Popa