From: Nicolae Popa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 7:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: Re: Size Strain in GSAS

>Dear Nicolae,

>Maybe ya ploho chitayu i ploho soobrazhayu, but even after your
>explanation I can't see a way to calculate <R> from the results of
>fitting described in chapters 6 & 7 of JAC 35 (2002) 338-346. From such
>fitting you obtain only dispersion parameter c. Or I missed something?
>Anyway, being "Rietvelders" we still have to deal with TCH-pV function
>and we need to extract as much as possible correct information from it.
>Hope we shall see more appropriate functions for microstructure
>analysis in popular Rietveld programs.

>Cheers,
>Leonid

Dear Leonid,

Indeed you missed something. I presume you have the paper. Then, take a look to the formula (15a). This is the size profile for lognormal. There is the function PHI - bar of argument 2*pi*s*<R>.  Replace this function PHI - bar from (15a) by the _expression_ (21a) with the argument x=2*pi*s*<R>. You get it? So, not only "c" but also <R>.

"We are Rietvelders" means that we must be only "codes drivers", "cheffeurs des codes", "voditeli program"? Have we to accept the "Procust bed" of the Rietveld codes at a given moment? All Rietveld codes are improving in time, isn't it?

In particular for the Round_Robin sample TCH-pV works because c=0.18. (Davor explained how Dv and Da are found). But if c>0.4 any pV fails.

Best wishes,

Nicolae