From: Nicolae Popa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:10 AM
To: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: Re: Size Strain in GSAS

Right, is rare, but we have meet once. A cerium oxide sample from a commercial company, c=2.8. I don't know if they did deliberately, probably not, otherwise the hard work to obtain such curiosity is costly and the company risks a bankruptcy. On the other hand superlorenzian profiles were reported from a long time, only were interpreted as coming from bimodal size distributions. And third, you see, people have difficulties to extract size distribution from the Rietveld codes as they are at this moment.

Nicolae Popa

A word from a "provider" of a Rietveld code (please don't call me a "programmer").
"But if c>0.4 any pV fails" - OK, for what fraction of the universe of "real world" samples is "c">0.4? I suspect, given the general success of the TCH pseudoVoigt function, that it is exceedingly small and only occurs when one works hard to deliberately make a sample like that.

R.B. Von Dreele

IPNS Division

Argonne National Laboratory

Argonne, IL 60439-4814