Hi Bob,

A kind of unique case isn't it ?

How many of such extreme examples can you list 18 years after it ? OK, some
papers by Margiolaki, et al...

But the question was :

>As a long time practitioner of powder XRD (since 1972) I was there when the
>superconductor craze hit in the mid-1980s.  At that time it was recognized the
>Rietveld Method was useful only for REFINING structures which were generally
>accepted from single crystal x-ray analysis.

>The http://www.cristal.org/rietv025/ link says the method "[allows] an
>accurate determination of the structure."  I take that statement to mean no
>model is required; Rietveld Analysis can determine structure without
>preconceived model.

i.e. a good crystallographer, when reading "determination" thinks that no model
is required. Then telling that the (Rietveld) method allows an accurate
determination of the structure is misleading since that method only allows for
a structure refinement.

So, a comment such as yours seems extremely out of the subject.

"a protein structure (a new insulin phase) was solved by rigid body Rietveld
refinement"

This is a too short and strange way to present the thing. You indexed the
pattern, guessed a model from what was already known about insulin, and had the
chance it was good enough for the Rietveld refinement convergence. The
determination did not included exclusively the Rietveld method, but also your
mind and a lot of chance- congratulations.

You dig.

Armel