Hi again,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 01:17:26PM +0000, Chris Curtis wrote:
> I am not sure what could be different from the client I am using to the one
> you are using, as we are both apparently using the gnome client.  When I
> start the client without having started the daemon first I get a window that
> pops up with the message:
>
>             Ring Error
> Unable to initializeMake sure the Ring daemon (dring) is running.Error:
> If we are both building following the instructions on the website, the
> only variable that I would imagine to be different is that I have not
> installed ring to the /usr prefix. As I am trying out and testing the
> software from source, to more easily track, remove, and rebuild I have
> installed ring, libring, and the gnome ring client to its own folder in
> /opt/ring.

Ah, that's the reason of the difference.  I am using the AUR packages:

  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ring-daemon-git/
  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libringclient-git/
  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ring-gnome-client-git/

It installs everything in /usr, like any well-behaved package.

> So, if it is automatically starting the ring daemon for others, and not
> me, is this because it is hardcoded to run "/usr/bin/dring" if it is not
> already running rather than simply running "dring" which would pick it
> up as long as the dring file is in the user's path? I dunno, just taking
> a stab in the dark.

Might be.  I don't know how the gnome client launches the daemon, but it
does not seem hard-coded to /usr/bin (according to a simple grep).