Here's my analysis of ring.  Note I want it to replace Skype for person
to person calls.  Not that I currently use Skype, but something like it
would be useful to talk with people overseas.

Ring works.  It uses SIP/RTP directly from device to device, without an
intervening server.  This means there will be problems with NAT and you
need to use STUN/TURN servers to deal with those.  STUN/TURN servers are
manually configured in the application.  This is one disadvantage
(Manual configuration, plus I perceive SIP/RTP/STUN/TURN to be fragile;
prone to long periods of silence)  Maybe this problem would go away with
IPv6?

Ring IDs are used instead of phone numbers.  They are long crypto hashes
that can't be processed by humans like phone numbers.  That's fine by
me.  However, while I can add ring: urls in my android phonebook, I
can't call the person by clicking on that.  The main dialler app doesn't
recognise ring: urls.  I have to open the ring app first, and select
from there.  I.e. the app doesn't seem to integrate well on android IMO.
(Android 4.4.2/CyanogenMod 11)

The strength of ring is using DHT (like bittorrent) to achieve presence
without any central server.  It is a peer to peer network to track who
is online and what their IP address is.  This is also a weakness as it
is currently implemented, if you install this on your cellphone.  Since
you're always participating in this PTP network, your device is always
transmitting and battery life is poor when the software is installed.

Because of this, I removed ring from my Android.  It is still installed
on my desktop, constantly using about 1-2% CPU (and not sure how much data).

Despite the other disadvantages, I would use it if the battery problem
was solved.  To fix that, I suggest people should be able to group
together multiple devices. so you would install it on your phone and
desktop or VPS.  Then your phone would check in with your other systems
only when it changed IP address, and they would participate in the PTP
network.

But I really like the concept overall.  When I want to sign up to a
calling tool, I don't want to sign up to a Skype like service provided
by a company, I want to sign up to a PTP network with no central service
provider or gateway.

Cheers,
Alex