BJW wrote:
> so this is the first mistake...  what is or isn't a compilation is
> ultimately a subjective judgment.  it doesn't matter how you or I define
> a comp, or if we agree or not, or everyone else for that matter.  there
> are also other valid/reasonable cases not covered by your two examples
> above; and regardless, the point to takeaway is that if you simply let
> LMS scan music that lacks BOTH AA tags and / or comp tags, the built in
> "logic" or rules for detecting a comp will be woefully inaccurate.  that
> is why you DO use AA tags on some of your files, b/c you have to, to fix
> or correct what LMS did inaccurately.
>

> as would mine.
>

> ok, great.  its not like there's a prize for that.  personally, in my
> 'strategy' i see adding comp=1 tags as optional.  (i never use comp=0)
> i didn't used to use comp=1 tags but i started for the benefit of other
> people and other software / devices, not just LMS.  LMS is a dead
> ecosystem afterall.  adding a comp=1 tag is just a bonus so those things
> are identified to LMS, apple, etc, but strictly speaking, not necessary
> for proper browsing under my system.
>

> perhaps this is where our disconnect is.  the only way i find logical to
> browse is home > albums, and for me it works as AA > year > albumart.
> browsing via this method i would see my items under both the AA tag and
> in the comp category specified in the options; so, meaning in both
> places.
>

> thats np, i don't begrudge you that.  i'm for any system that works for
> you.  my replies here though were meant to respond to what the OP was
> asking for.  i don't believe your system speaks to the gathering and
> sorting he desires.  mine does.
>

> the inconsistencies i mention, are when you don't use comp tags OR AA
> tags.  nice sleight of hand there.  you are resolving some of the
> inconsistencies by using AA tags only where you have to b/c otherwise
> LMS gets it wrong.
>
> as to the bug, lets say you rip a CD and all the TRACK artists are
> listed in the tags as "Various Artists"  ...in that case you would ALSO
> succumb to the same bug 9523 i mentioned.  its a string conflict, and
> not just a problem with AA tags, that's just where it happens to occur
> the most.
>
> ***Various Artists is the default value of the LMS setting, but if the
> user changes that to say: COMPS ...and they have COMPS in their AA or A
> tags as well, the conflict would now exhibit there.  what makes the bug
> so insidious, is that a lot of rippers put Various Artists in the AA or
> A tags by default, so the conflict happens out of the box when LMS scans
> the files, and worse yet, its not an immediately obvious problem to
> spot, esp if you have a large collection, and even if you spot it, there
> is nothing to suggest what is causing it or how to fix it.  why M.Herger
> doesn't spend some time on resolving it, i have no idea, i wish he
> would.

> [...]

I do agree that there is a code issue but I’m not going to say it’s a
bug and yes I have long ago found myself scratching my head wondering
why something appeared as VA which wasn’t in Compilations.

My system works for me and yours does for you. Let’s leave it there. I
certainly don’t consider LMS as dead in the water. The recent
improvements to MAI and the new Material skin are testament to that.

To the original question. Wouldn’t it be more logical to use the Genre
tag for the purpose? The groupings the OP wants aren’t really Artist
related but stretching a point the Now series could be considered as a
sort of Genre. This is a multi value tag so far as LMS is concerned so
would be easy to implement.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng