Not to jump into the middle of this discussion but for what it's worth, you
will need to change 3 things in rd.conf to get it working.

If you have not changed the user names that came with the install, then
make the following changes:

[Identity]
; These entries are used to define the system user and group that will
; own the audio files.
AudioOwner=rd
AudioGroup=users

Then point the client to your server:

[mySQL]
; The connection parameters for the MySQL server.
Hostname=rdserver  (the name you gave to your server or the IP address
works also)
Loginname=rduser
Password=letmein
Database=Rivendell
Driver=QMYSQL3

We disable mySQL on the clients. Also make sure that you add all of your
hosts to the hosts file with their IP addresses on all machines.

You need to make sure you give all the correct permissions on the server
mySQL - I assume you found directions for doing that from what you said
earlier.

Be sure to create an exportfs for the shared folders if you have some such
as rd_xfer and export it on the server, and then add the shared file(s) on
your fstab list on each client and mount them.

That's what I remember without being where I can look at my notes. Hope it
helps.

Tom Van Gorkom
Office: 956-380-8150
Cell: 865-803-7427