On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:10:32 +0200
ermina <erm...@studioplume.com> wrote:

> On 09/14/2016 06:01 PM, al davis wrote:
> > The cart library is .wav files in /var/snd.  If you know the cart
> > number, you can open it in audacity, or any other sound file player or
> > editor.
>
> There would be a need to update the cart duration in the rivendell
> database though. <

  Rivendell automatically updates next time the cart is accessed.  We
use Audacity this way pretty heavily.  After writing the changed file
back to /var/snd/ we always open the file again in the Library editor
because the markers will need to be reset.  That task alone resets
duration intervals.

  Previously I have mentioned that we use the WAV editor in Exact Audio
Copy for simple work like straight cuts and easy fades.  It is a
difficult interface because one has to manually draw the interval each
time as you cannot extend or shorten a defined interval.  But EAC does
not introduce any noise.  Audacity, on the other hand, we use to add
more natural ringout reverb to songs that end abruptly, or need volume
level adjustments at beginning or end.  We raise some song fadeouts so
they do not go on eternally for 10 to 15 seconds.  You can do this with
the envelope tool:  place an envelope marker where you want to start
raising a fadeout; right click in the volume scale to the left of the
track, which doubles the volume scale; put another marker down the line,
only this time at the louder x2 volume level; then Tracks > Mix and
Render.  Rinse and repeat if necessary (it usually is for long
fadeouts).

  The drawback to Audacity is that it converts from WAV to its own
32-bit floating point audio encoding.  Then you have to export back to
WAV.  That process definitely adds enough noise that it could be above
the auto-trim level you may use (we use -71db).  But then a lot of
pre-digital era tracks have rumble or hum that is above that floor,
which causes manual setting of markers, so I guess it is not an awful
price to pay for Audacity's capabilities.  But the EAC editor does not
add noise, and that is why we try to use it first whenever possible.

  I must say that Rivendell is one of the most time-accurate systems I
have ever worked with.  At the end of the day, the final event fires
within tenths of a second to what it said it would at the start of the
day.  That's pretty awesome to us.

--Chuck W.