I believe I see the point, especially for transporting audio with
bandwidth limitations.
I'm also working remotely with a VPN and a "client" Rivendell system,
but editing/listening to cuts is a real pain because the raw pcm audio
is transmitted and it can be quite impossible to work on some connections.

Maybe we could imagine to integrate a "light" version of the audio while
working remotely, something that would be Opus-encoded (low latency, low
bandwidth codec) on the fly, for example ?

    Hoggins!