On Feb 26, 2022, at 12:15, Steve <riv...@braingia.org> wrote:

> What's the timeframe for 4.x to be released?  We're faced with a
> fundamental choice with deployment onto new hardware, which seems to be:
>
> v3.6.4. on CentOS7
> v4 on UbuntuStudioLTS
>
> The downside to v3.x on CentOS 7 is that it will be out of support in
> 2024.  The downside to v4 is that it's still in beta.  Compiling v3 on
> UbuntuStudioLTS seems difficult because of the QT4 dependency.

That summarizes the dilemma well. RHEL/CentOS 7 is pretty much the “last stand”
for distro-supported Qt versions earlier than 5.

The official answer re: Rivendell v4.x is “when it’s ready”. Spring of this
year seems a reasonable timeframe, but it all depends on what issues continue
to get sussed out in testing. I have begun putting it into some (quite
constrained) “on-air” environments, where it has mostly worked pretty well, but
also uncovered a couple of significant issues (being worked on).

I wish I had more definite advice for you, but that’s the reality at the moment.

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |