On 12/5/2009, John Horne (john.ho...@plymouth.ac.uk) wrote:
>> Again - is there anything special about port 2006 that makes
>> rkhunter single it out?

> Yes, it is known to be used by the CB and w00tkit rootkits. That's
> why RKH is warning you about it.

Ah, ok, now that makes sense. Thinking about this, it seems to me that
whitelisting couriertls makes more sense than whitelisting the port.
What do you think?

> You can either whitelist the port itself (PORT_WHITELIST=TCP:2006),
> or whitelist a particular application to use known bad ports
> (PORT_WHITELIST=couriertls).

One question - the commented line has quotes around empty contents:

PORT_WHITELIST=""

Is this another case of it works either way? Or maybe this time the
gentoo maintainer got it wrong?

--

Best regards,

Charles