On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 13:03 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 12/5/2009, John Horne (john.ho...@plymouth.ac.uk) wrote:
> > You can either whitelist the port itself (PORT_WHITELIST=TCP:2006),
> > or whitelist a particular application to use known bad ports
> > (PORT_WHITELIST=couriertls).
>
> Ok, after a really bizarre ritual called 'reading the comments', I
> discovered you had to put the whole path, so:
>
> PORT_WHITELIST=couriertls
>
> didn't work (resulted in an error about an invalid argument), but:
>
> PORT_WHITELIST=/usr/sbin/couriertls
>
> did.

Ah, sorry that was my fault. Yes, it would make sense to specify the
pathname.

> Apparently it works with or without the quotes even specifying multiple
> arguments, as I tried both:
>
> PORT_WHITELIST=/usr/sbin/couriertls TCP:2006
>
> and
>
> PORT_WHITELIST="/usr/sbin/couriertls TCP:2006"
>
> and it worked fine both times.

Okay, you got me :-) You are right. However, the config file options are
treated a little like environment variables, and for a variable to have
a space in it, then quotes must be used (I'm ignoring escaped spaces
here!). Rather than confuse people by saying that variables need quotes
but the config file doesn't, it is easier to state that a
space-separated list must have double-quotes around it. That way people
will always get it right.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001