OK found it...seems like a bug to me...the default /etc/rkhunter.conf has
these lines in it
#
# Specify the command directories to be checked. This is a
# space-separated list of directories.
#
#BINDIR="/bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin
/usr/libexec /usr/local/libexec"
BINDIR="/usr/sbin"

Note that says "command directories to be checked"...however if I add /bin
to that
BINDIR="/bin /usr/sbin"
 it works again. It seems like a bug to me that if I want to check only say
/usr/local/libexec then that breaks rkhunter.
rkhunter should not IMO be using that setting to determine where awk is.

But maybe this is just a doc bug and "Specify the command directories to be
checked" wasn't what was meant.

Just in case I had something else messed up here's my conf when it is nogo:
 # egrep -v "^#|^$" /etc/rkhunter.conf
INSTALLDIR=/usr
ROTATE_MIRRORS=1
UPDATE_MIRRORS=1
MIRRORS_MODE=0
MAIL-ON-WARNING=""
MAIL_CMD=mail -s "[rkhunter] Warnings found for ${HOST_NAME}"
TMPDIR=/var/lib/rkhunter/tmp
DBDIR=/var/lib/rkhunter/db
SCRIPTDIR=/usr/lib/rkhunter/scripts
BINDIR="/usr/sbin"
LOGFILE=/var/log/rkhunter.log
APPEND_LOG=0
COLOR_SET2=0
AUTO_X_DETECT=0
ALLOW_SSH_ROOT_USER=no
ALLOW_SSH_PROT_V1=0
ENABLE_TESTS="all"
DISABLE_TESTS="suspscan hidden_procs deleted_files packet_cap_apps"
ALLOWHIDDENDIR=/dev/.udev
ALLOW_SYSLOG_REMOTE_LOGGING=0
SUSPSCAN_DIRS="/tmp /var/tmp"
SUSPSCAN_TEMP=/dev/shm
SUSPSCAN_MAXSIZE=10240000
SUSPSCAN_THRESH=200

Thanks to John Horne for pointing me in the right direction