On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 20:07 -0400, Mike Strickland wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 21:35 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> > This is rkhunter's locking mechanism to prevent 2 or more instances of
> > RKH running together (and so messing up the log file for a start). By
> > default it is not enabled, so you must have set USE_LOCKING=1 in the
> > config file.
>
> Thanks. Don't recall making the change, but obviously I did at some
> point. Not sure why it would start throwing errors all of a sudden, but
> I've remmed the line so there'll be no more.

The only times I have had a 'left over' lock file is when I have been
running RKH and then broke into it. The lock file isn't cleaned up. The
same could, of course, happen if RKH should suddenly stop for some
reason, maybe if a program it is using crashes, or a power failure half
way through a run etc. The fact that when you next run RKH you have to
wait for the lock is an indication that either RKH is currently running,
perhaps as it should via cron and so you don't want to interrupt that,
or because it failed last time and that may need investigating.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001