Julie,

Your machine is probably affected by a network issue, and my guess is that
it's related to broken PMTU detection.

Confirming this is indeed the case should be easy: lower the MTU of the
[public] network interface to 300bytes, and retry the wget / curl command.

Lowering the MTU is easy:
1. type "ip link show dev eth0" (replace eth0 with your appropriate network
interface).  The first line should have the "mtu" keyword somewhere,
followed by a number -- this is your actual MTU setting. You might want to
make note of it for future restoration
2. type "ip link set dev eth0 mtu 300"
3. re-type the first line, to confirm the mtu has indeed changed.

HTH
Florin

flo.ro