I'm definitely interested in helping with this.  Once we get our updated
internal environment deployed, I plan to turn some attention to the
customization problem.  Specifically, because of our rather strict
intranet UI guidelines, we actually want to be able to lock down full
template customizations and instead give users the ability to
essentially drag and drop widgets onto their sidebar or to make
relatively minor changes to their blog page headers / entry listings.
What is of particular importance to us, due to a variety of security
concerns, is the ability to restrict the catalog of available widgets
that can be placed on the sidebar.

Another thought: as part of the "about" page... we are very interested
in finding a way of allowing Roller to integrate well with external
"profile" services (e.g. an LDAP directory) such that extended
information about a blog owner or contributor can be pulled in
server-side from a remote source other than just the roller_users table.
 As an example, in Lotus Connections, we have a profiles component that
is used as the primary repository of user info that would fit very
naturally into an "About" page.

I'll go back and review all of the 4.0 proposals.

- James