E vorba de o statuie ecvestra gigantica pe care o vede oricine calatoreste cu masina pe E-85 inspre Focsani. Statuia se afla cocotata pe un deal la intrarea in comuna Dumbraveni (nu Dubroven, cum zice stirea agentiei ITAR-TASS). Nu e urata, dar tot timpul m-am intrebat ce cauta statuia unui general rus acolo. ---------------------------- Vali "Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions are the chief mark of greatness." (Carlo Goldoni)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." (Jimi Hendrix) <http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=11508136&PageNum=0> http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=11508136&PageNum=0 Monument to Suvorov profaned in Romania 08.05.2007, 13.48 BUCHAREST, May 8 (Itar-Tass) - Some unidentified vandals have profaned the monument to the great Russian military commander Alexander Suvorov in the Dubroven Commune, which is near Romanian city of Focsani (north-eastern Romania). They scribbled with red paint on its pedestal: "Besarabia is Romanian land". Vice-Mayor of the Dubroven Commune Valentin Talvar told Itar-Tass that there were no such outrageous cases since 1959, when the Suvorov monument was unveiled. The Romanian Ministry of Culture and Cults, whose duty is to take care of the monument, is taking steps to repair the damages. General-En-Chef Alexander Suvorov, who commanded a 7,000-strong Russo-Austrian corps, defeated and put to flight a Turkish army of 100,000 officers and men, commanded by Vizier Yusuf Pasha, during the 1787-1791 Russo-Turkish war. The general was decorated with the highest award of the Russian Empire, the St.George Order (First Class), and given the honourable title of Count Remniksky for his victories at Focsani and on the banks of the Remnik River. The Emperor of Austria had bestowed on him the title of Count of the Holy Roman Empire. The initial monument to Suvorov and to the Russian soldiers, who had liberated Romania from the Turkish yoke, was built at Dubroven in 1913, but it had to be dismantled and evacuated to Russia during the First World War. Its exact copy was installed on the same place in 1959. It is worth noting that the commune itself was called "Suvorov" for a very long period of time. C ITAR-TASS <http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=4&NrIssue =217&NrSection=1&NrArticle=18720> http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=4&NrIssue= 217&NrSection=1&NrArticle=18720 TRANSITIONS ONLINE: Russia: Rest in Peace, by Order of Vladimir Putin 10 May 2007 A recent report says Moscow is hoping that a new corps of grave guards at its embassies will thwart attempts to tamper with Soviet war memorials. [The Estonian government's decision to move a memorial to Soviet war dead from the Tallinn city center to a military cemetery sparked rioting in the Estonian capital in late April and confrontations at the Estonian Embassy in Moscow in early May. Since then, some Russian media have looked nervously at other non-Russian cities that have Soviet war memorials. One recent TV report has President Vladimir Putin authorizing new teams of workers for certain embassies to safeguard Soviet war graves.-TOL] Text of report by Russian Centre TV on 7 May [Presenter] It emerged on Monday [7 May] that a draft decree to protect Soviet war graves abroad has been prepared in the [Russian] president's administration. According to the decree, a [Russian] representative office will be opened in a number a countries with the aim of preserving [Soviet] soldiers' graves and memorials. There are 14 such countries, one of which is Poland, which today confirmed its intention to pass a law to remove monuments dating from the socialist era. [Correspondent] The Polish government is hasty in its denials. Draft legislation has already been issued from the Ministry of Culture to the [Polish] Sejm allowing the demolition of monuments dating from the socialist era. But what is meant here is not Soviet war memorials, but stone sculptures of Communist dictators. Today on one of Poland's radio stations, the Culture Minister announced on air: "We do not wish to dismantle memorials which were erected in memory of the Red Army and thereby show disrespect to Russian soldiers". In other words the Poles are indirectly condemning the Estonian example. But the facts prevent us from believing Warsaw's good intentions: in Krakow the memorial to Marshal Konev disappeared a long time ago. It was dismantled, and now all that is left of it is the pedestal. New perceptions arose as the times changed: Konev was then declared an occupant, and there is no guarantee that the Poles will not follow in the footsteps of the Estonians in rewriting history. [Passage omitted: earlier reported statement from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.] [Correspondent] Events over the past 20 years seem to indicate that some Europeans have a short memory. The city authorities of the Bulgarian town of Plovdiv twice attempted to dismantle the [Soviet] stone Alesha [memorial] and only the country's Supreme Court was able to save the Russian warrior. In April this year the World Union of Hungarians collected signatures for the removal of the monument to Soviet soldiers from Freedom Square in Budapest. After the monument to Soviet soldiers in [Berlin's] Treptow Park was removed for restoration in 2003, rumour had it that it would not return to its former place. But everything turned out well that time: the German authorities spent 1.5m euros on the [monument's] restoration. Last Friday [4 May] the Russian Defence Ministry announced that a presidential decree was being prepared to protect [Soviet] war graves abroad. It should be signed by the end of May. A representative office will be opened in Russian embassies abroad consisting of four to six people and will deal with the protection of [Soviet war] graves and monuments. They will work in the main problematic zones: Poland, Hungary, Romania, Germany, the Czech Republic, China and the Baltic states. For these purposes 1m dollars will be spent every year. [Unidentified Russian official] The creation of representative offices will not solve the problem. They can only solve the problem as to how fast we react; for example [they can] inform us of the situation to which we can then react quickly. [Correspondent] In other words, it is not in the representative offices' power to protest or take steps against the authorities' actions. The main task is up to the Russian Foreign Ministry, which needs to conclude bilateral agreements on the protection of memorials. This will ensure a more or less firm guarantee of their protection. [Passage omitted: previously reported facts concerning President Putin's meeting with the International Olympic Committee in the Kremlin today.] Source: Centre TV, Moscow, in Russian 1955 gmt 7 May 2007 Copyright C 2007 Transitions Online

