WebCit maintains a stateful connection to the Citadel server for each user
session.  Naturally, we use cookies to maintain a session with the client
browser, and there's enough information stored in the cookie to re-create
the back end Citadel session if it times out.

 While it is true that a stateless connection (or a small pool of them)
directly to the data store would be faster, that would cause it to lose
the whole "Who is online now" nature of Citadel, which is a big part of
what makes it a unique product.  (It would also require implementing a way
to give such clients very escalated privileges, which would put lots of
holes in our security model, which currently makes the assumption that all
clients are untrusted.)