Logging CN and DN in debug output like so (names changed...)

citserver[68186]: ldap: found
uid=someone-mn,ou=Mn,ou=People,dc=servername,dc=net

citserver[68186]: ldap: cn = Someone of Mn

citserver[68186]: ldap: display name: <Someone of Mn> , uid = <10073>

  I can log into my aide fine, with uid, but to log in to LDAP users, I would
need to type the full CN, which simply will not work. but this is a step in
the right direction.

  I need users to be able to use uid for their login name, not CN (as some of
our CN's are VERY LONG)