The patch looks good, and I'll go ahead and see if it applies cleanly.  The
important thing is that it doesn't try to change too many things at the same
time, and you've documented what it is intended to do.  That's really really
good.

 By the way -- in case you haven't figured it out yet, try not to change any
of the <?_("output strings")> because, as you've probably guessed, those get
fed into a translator for international languages and if you change the string
it throws away all of the translations.

 And you probably also noticed that WebCit is being completely rewritten,
because it's based on 27 year old spaghetti code that's been so badly abused
that it isn't worth trying to fix.  The template engine in particular is super
ugly -- it was meant to separate the code from the markup but it ended up
being even harder to work with than it was before.  When you get your
development system up and running you'll be able to look at webcit-ng and
see how it's coming together.

 As for how to build the development system -- you can take a look at the
build script for either the Docker container or Easy Install to get an idea
of how it comes together.

 [ https://easyinstall.citadel.org/install ]

 That's a good place to start.  Ignore the bit about `ctdlvisor` since that's
container specific.

 Basically, the order goes like this:

 1. Install the development packages for all dependencies ... on a CentOS
system that would be
 yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
 yum install \
   zlib-devel \
   openldap-devel \
   openssl-devel \
   libcurl-devel \
   libical-devel \
   expat-devel \
   readline-devel

 2. Install the Berkeley DB library -- download it from
https://easyinstall.citadel.org/db-6.2.32.NC.tar.gz
and unpack it, then
 cd db-6.2.32.NC/build_unix
 ../dist/configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-static --disable-compat185
--disable-cxx --disable-debug --disable-dump185 --disable-java --disable-tcl
--disable-test --without-rpm
 make
 make install

 3. Clone the git repository
 git clone git://git.citadel.org/citadel

 4. Build and install libcitadel
 cd citadel/libcitadel
 ./bootstrap
 ./configure
 make
 make install

 5. Build the Citadel Server.  I usually run it from the build directory,
in the foreground, when I'm using it.
 cd citadel/citadel
 ./bootstrap
 ./configure
 make

 and then run it with:
 ./citserver -x9 -h`pwd`

 6. In another window, build WebCit.  I usually run this from its build
directory
as well.
 cd citadel/webcit
 ./bootstrap
 ./configure
 make

 and then run it with:
 ./webcit -p80 uds ~/citadel/citadel

 7.
If you want the text mode client, it's the same routine again, but in
citadel/textclient

 That ought to be enough to get you started.  Thanks for your interest in
helping out with development!