The fact that git has problems maintain a large history is ONE of the
limitations that prompted them to develop GVFS. There are several comments
on the first page in the discussion of the ars technica article on GVFS
that talk about git's issues with long histories:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/microsoft-hosts-the-windows-source-in-a-monstrous-300gb-git-repository/?comments=1

I can't link directly to the comments, but if you search by user name you
jump right to them. Two especially relevant ones are by smengler and
zaqzlea. The one by zaqzlea is also rather interesting if Linux itself has
truncated its own commit history, which is more than a bit disturbing from
my perspective. We also see a few remarks by a guy calling himself
scuttle22 who claims that truncating history and dropping it is "common
practice" and acceptable. His original posts have all been downvoted to
oblivion, presumably because others take a less lackadaisical perspective
on preserving history for purposes of documentation and accountability.

The patches have apparently been submitted upstream. I do not know what
state they are in the review process for acceptance. I also don't know what
support for Linux is with the current patchset. If all of you are dead set
on migrating to git, that is ultimately your choice, but frankly there are
several things that you need to keep in mind and develop policies about to
keep the git repo from becoming useless for things like tracking history
and cross-referencing things between what different developers do.