On 28 February 2011 01:19, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcint...@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 27, 2011, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
>> Where I'm expecting this to lead, eventually, is that there will be much
>> better external GUIs available for these plugins by way of FLAM...
>
> By way of example, here's my first attempt at an improved interface for the
> AmpVTS plugin, with Rosegarden's presentation of the same for comparison.

Nice.  I think this is a great idea -- it'd be lovely to have some
more GUIs that worked with the plugins and hosts we already have, with
minimal development work.

(Though I wonder why our "native" host editor window is so wide? That
doesn't help, does it?)

There's been a lot of talk about GUIs on the LAD list recently, mostly
to do with how LV2 supports them.  Historically the situation there
has been very problematic for any host that isn't written using GTK,
but it looks like things are on the up, as David Robillard has been
working on a library to adapt plugins written for different toolkits
from the hosts.

That's of no immediate use to Rosegarden since it doesn't support LV2
plugins, but it does suggest that one obstacle to supporting LV2 may
be disappearing.  Leaving only the biggest one: time.  In the world of
realistic immediate solutions to problems, FLAM user interfaces for
LADSPA plugins look like a very good idea with essentially nothing to
lose.

Chris