> On 26/01/13 19:35, Holger Marzen wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, Abrolag wrote:
>>

> [...]
>
>> I encounter that's made with Rosegarden or other Open Source
>> Software avoids instruments that need exact timings.
>
> Sure it's so general? Isn't this doable by setting JACK latency low? I
> thinking of Rosegarden doing only midi and hooking instruments (e.g.
> fluidsynth) through alsa-midi etc.

I agree, I've not found it to be a problem with Real Time versions of
Linux or recent versions of JACK/Alsa.

What IS often a problem is how certain SoundFonts are made up (if you are
using a SoundFont synth).  Many SoundFonts have uneven delays between
samples/instruments which is hard to compensate for.  The solution is to
just go edit the SoundFont with Swami and line everything up.

Likewise when using other sampled synths, such as Hydrogen.  The samples
can be uneven with respect to start times.

Other 'soft synths' usually have delays but they are usually pretty
consistent which is much less of a problem.  They are no worse, and
usually better, than external MIDI hardware synths.

Of course, all bets are off if the CPU(s) are overloaded.  More than a 50
percent system load is getting risky for audio work.  This should not be a
problem even on modest hardware if one keeps the number of simultaneous
tracks down to a reasonably sane number.