All -

I thought I'd send an announcement about the MIDI filter application
I've been working on (and which I was working with when I sent a few
requests and questions to this list the last couple weeks, related to
using the filter with rosegarden). I hope this announcement is relevant
for this mailing list - I think it could be quite useful to some people
for use with rosegarden (and I'd like it to evolve further to become
even more useful). But - apologies if you think this is not relevant.

I've made the application, which is a perl script called midifilter with
supporting perl modules, available on github at:

https://github.com/jjttcc/midifilter

I'd like to add more features as I find the time.  Here is a list of
currently supported features:

  - Trigger program-change from note event where patch number is
    determined by the pitch value.
  - bank-select
  - transpositions - Transpose pitches within a certain configured
    range up or down by a specified number of half steps.
  - Trigger external commands.
  - Send real-time START, STOP, and CONTINUE messages.
  - Trigger a mode (which I call "program-change sample mode") in which
    midifilter cycles through the entire range of patches, with a pause
    in between each patch. In other words, it sends patch 0, pauses for
    a configured number of seconds, sends patch 1, etc., until it has
    reached patch 127. This allows the user to try out - "sample" -
    each patch of the current bank without having to explicitly invoke
    a program change.

There's some more documentation at the github site and I've tried to
make the configuration file, to some extent, self-documenting.  But
this is a work in progress with the typical flaw that the documentation
is (at least) a little weak to start with.

If anyone here tries the application out and runs into problems, feel
free to contact me (either at my email address in the header of this
message, or via github).  And if anyone has a suggestion or two as to
other places appropriate to announce this application - where people
seeing the announcement are likely to be interested, please let me
know.  This list (rosegarden-user@lists.sourceforge.net) is the only
place I've announced it at this point.

Thanks.
Jim Cochrane