Hi Rosegarden team.  I've written a perl program [1] that filters MIDI
messages and - when certain message combinations are received -
modifies the MIDI data, or creates a completely different MIDI message,
or etc before sending data on to other MIDI recipients such as
rosegarden.  One of the things I'd like to do is to send a MIDI message
that will tell rosegarden to start recording (so that I can start the
recording process at the MIDI keyboard instead of having to hit record
on the RG interface and then meander over to my keyboard and start
playing).  The real-time start message (i.e., system real-time start -
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php) looks like a good
candidate, since when rosegarden receives it it actually does start -
but it starts playing, not recording.  I can't (AFAIK) set rosegarden
up in a "stopped/record-on" state, such that when it receives this
start signal, it starts recording.

I remember asking about this, or a similar issue, in the past (I think
it was this year), but I don't think there was a clear resolution.  (I
just grepped for 'record' in the subject line of all the messages from
this list on my local system and did not find a subject relevant to
this issue.)

So, I guess I have a few questions:

  - Is it possible for rosegarden to have its record function triggered
    by a MIDI event that it receives instead of hitting the GUI record
    button? And if it is possible, of course, how is it done?
  - If it is not possible, how hard would it be to add this feature to
    the code?  (Since it does start playing when it receives a START
    message, it seems to me it should not be hard to modify it to allow
    recording instead of playing when it receives START.  However, this
    is coming from a naive view - I'm a programmer, but I know very
    little about the source code.)
  - If it's not possible, is there some workaround?  (For example, what
    if I hit 'record' to start rosegarden recording, then send it a
    song-position pointer message for position 0 to force rosegarden to
    reset to position 0 and continue recording from there?)

Thanks!
Jim

[1] This program still in development, but I hope to release it on
github soon.