That is not the problem. MIDI playback through Qsynth is quite loud. It is the recording that is low. I played the resulting WAV file on a Windows computer, and the file is very soft. For some reason, Rosegarden is recording at a low volume.

Brian Clem wrote:
Its most likely not a Rosegarden concern. Rosegarden is the end result showing you lower_than_needed levels. What hardware are you using? Check your mixers to make sure your input level is where it needs to be. I am hoping this link will help:

http://mytechrants.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/linux-sound-level-too-low/

Good luck!