D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 10/30/2013 10:47 PM, Darcy Kahle wrote:

Windows computer, and the file is very soft.  For some reason,
Rosegarden is recording at a low volume.

Fool around with the gain control while you play a representative sample to watch for high spikes on the VU meter. You want to get it as high as you can without clipping anything.

I'm not looking at anything right now, and can't at the moment, so I'm just going on memory. I don't think the control is labeled "gain" as such, and I think it's a red slider in the audio instrument parameters box.

For a recording that's already done where the volume is too low, it's likely that you captured sufficient information, and just need to push the levels up as high as they can go without clipping. Running normalize on the sample ought to take care of that nicely. There's a free-standing command line app, and several applications have a normalize function built in.
I did see that slider, and while raising that all the way up to the top (+6.000), it only raised the volume of the recorded file by a couple degrees of a whisper, and what I did hear was really clipped.

I tried to locate the free-standing app that you mentioned that would raise the volume, but could not locate it. Please let me know what the command name is, and I will try again to find it.