Thanks. That's helpful.

Accessing bar line positions is more trouble than it's worth for me
right is what that part of your answer tells me. That frees up some time
for me.

As for the ties,  a note would have two properties: one for tied from
and another for tied to. Any idea where I could find that code? Just
looking quickly, I didn't see anything like that in event.* or
notationtypes.* and there doesn't seem be be a file called note anywhere
in the tree.

I'm expecting there to be an accessor method like note->getTieForward()
which returns the note to which a given note is tied but I can't find
one. Or maybe it's just note->getProperty('tiedForward') and I have to
find where the properties are defined. In either case, I can't find it.
But I'm hardly a well informed searcher.

Csound understands legato ties between notes of different pitch, but it
has no reason to use ties between notes of the same pitch because score
events don't take place in the context of a staff with bars and time
signatures. Notes just have arbitrary start times and durations. Very
economical if you take a second to think about it.

Unfortunately, collapse all will only work for notes with durations that
divide by 1,2,3,4,6,7 or 8. (I'm assuming that collapse all remembers to
use double dots to get the sevens). That is to say a dotted quarter note
tied to a regular quarter note can't be collapsed into anything else.
Still, seven out of eight is pretty good, so I'll be using that in the
future when doing Csound exports. Thanks.