I'm a beginner to Rosegarden, and made a list of problems I've
encountered with Rosegarden in the process of editing a piano track.

Basically, I'm not a very good piano player, so I record a piano piece
in many segments, then connect and edit the segments. Recording goes
perfectly from a Yamaha Motif XS, though I'm not sure how to get the
Motif instrument names to be correct in Rosegarden. Also, the Motif must
be in "Song" mode to let RG drive multiple instruments (I swear that
took an hour to figure out).

If any of these are known issues, I apologize in advance! I'm using
version 14.12.

1. If I have multiple tracks for the same piano instrument, if the
tracks do not begin at the same time, when the later one starts, it
causes a break in the playing of the earlier track. Particularly
noticeable as it interrupts the sustain pedal.

2. The piece has a lot of longly held sustain pedal. While editing, if I
happen to start midway through a pedal change, it takes a while for the
sustain to kick back in.. Is there some kind of autodetect to
artificially cause the sustain or other controllers to kick in on
playback start with the most recent value before the start time?

3. In matrix mode, it is very easy to select and move around notes, but
if you have ranges to remove, the controller inputs very easily get out
of sync. I end up deleting all the sustain pedal events, and rerecording
just the pedal. Controller events should be somehow part of the matrix
editor, so you can select and move them along with the notes they belong
to. I tried editing in a "ruler", but I could never drag the events
around. I would pull just a little, and it jumps way off, seemed like a
bug. Also, I couldn't delete events in the ruler.

4. In matrix mode, particularly the velocity ruler, is there any way to
apply a "velocity envelope" to a range of notes. That is, scale them,
like a volume curve slider. So you edit the much simpler envelope to
affect a whole mess of notes. Alternately, can you apply (not just
scale) velocity to an envelope?

5. Also in the velocity ruler, is there some way to show ONLY the notes
currently selected? This would help considerably when the track might be
playing 7 or more notes at once, and you want to affect only one hand's
notes.

6. Rosegarden seems to have a 5 minute limit. I cannot scroll past 5
minutes. I can position tracks so they go past 5 minutes, but cannot
access them. Is there some setting that controls this? My piano piece is
7 minutes, and I had to chop in half to play back everything.

7. Is it possible to continuously change the tempo of a piece? So like
record a regular pattern, but have it easily start to speed up or slow
down over time. I often find a constant tempo throughout to be kind of
stale.

8. How do you change key shortcuts?? The default Play and Stop seem to
be "control enter" and "insert", which are almost totally not useful to
me. If it could be space to start AND stop, and when it stops revert
back to when you first started, it would cure a lot of frustration.
Also, "insert" for the key to stop is right next to the "home" key, so
if I'm playing, sometimes I jump back to the beginning when I actually
just wanted to halt playback.

Anyway, I managed to get a good piece out of it. On the whole I found
workarounds for all the above issues, they just take a lot of time!

-Tom
tomlechner.com