On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 11:46:05 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/26/2016 06:44 AM, Yves Guillemot wrote:
>
> > If there is only one user on this computer and if the RG files are stored
> > on a
> > local file system it should be a safe workaround to add in .bash_profile
> > something like:
> > find ~ -name ".~lock.*.rg#" | xargs rm -f
>
> I have an ancient laptop at my drum kit that I use to ssh -X into my
> main box from across the room.  I can have the same .rg file open on the
> same filesystem on the same computer as the same user.
>
> When I started this conversation, I could edit the file from either
> console, and it was tricky to keep up with which changes had been saved
> where.
>
> That's the problem lock files were trying to solve, and they succeeded.
>   Now we have the new problem of how to deal with them when a lock file
> gets left behind for some reason.
>
> Deleting lockfiles at login won't suffice.  Deleting lock files at
> startup would work if the instance starting is the only instance and the
> filesystem is NOT networked.
>
> A handy ignore button is probably the most reasonable thing to offer so
> users can deal with the issue with minimal irritation.  Maybe a smart
> ignore button that at least checks for likely suspects before presenting
> itself.  Is this the only instance?  Is this a local only filesystem?
> Yes and yes?  Show ignore button.
>
> Thinking on the fly.  Big day today.

I'm steadily more inclined to think a time based solution would be most
reliable. If the time entry is always being updated by the instance holding the
lock (even if it's only on an hourly basis) anything more than a couple of
hours old must be an ophaned one.

The only time I can foresee a problem is if files on a single server are being
access by machines set to wildly different times, but if that was the case I
would expect the users to have a lot of other time based problems!

--
W J G