On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 16:05:53 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I got into acoustic drums, I ended up with an audio interface that
> is only useful on Windows or OS-X.  I'm not paying what they want for a
> Mac, and that is how I came to be running Windows for audio recording.
>
> Since I finally had to break down and buy a Windows machine, I have been
> working on a side project with Richard Bown to take Rosegarden
> cross-platform.
>
> The objective is a Rosegarden that can compile and run usefully on
> Linux, Windows, and hopefully OS-X, using the same codebase for all
> platforms, and with centrally managed, regular releases.
>
> After some initial work that was good for other platforms at the expense
> of being too destructive to Linux, I am taking a hard look at switching
> from ALSA to RtMidi, which Richard reports as "just about" recording and
> playing MIDI in the original Windows fork.
>
> I haven't begun on any of this yet, but it does look encouraging.
> RtMidi can use JACK MIDI or ALSA, in that order, which addresses all of
> the users who wish we had JACK MIDI support.
>
> The plan I am currently sketching out is to switch Rosegarden over to
> RtMidi on Linux, get that working, and then the resulting Rosegarden
> will be easier to port to other platforms.  This removes the biggest
> dependency that is absolutely Linux-specific.
>
> Before I really dive into pulling all of this together, I thought it
> would be appropriate to see how both the developer and user communities
> feel about all this.
>
> In the meantime, I'm off to see the new Star Trek movie in IMAX.

How does this behave WRT existing software destinations, and multiple hardware
MIDI I/O ports?

My usual setup is 2 MIDI hardware inputs, 3 hardware outputs (two keyboards and
a sound canvas), and a variable number of software MIDI destinations, some of
which are ALSA only, some are switchable for either ALSA or Jack.

--
W J G