Hi all,

I'm new to Rosegarden (RG), and I have trouble to enable audio playback in RG. I realize that I 'm definitely not the first, and I sought and found all kind of solutions, but so far to no effect.

My setup:

- I'm on opensuse Tumbleweed, a rolling distro which I keep up to date; desktop KDE Frameworks 5.46.0

- from this distro, I have RG 17.12 installed

- audio hardware is Xonar Essence STX

- I have timidity 2.14 from the distro installed (and use it a lot, to get sound from Frescobaldi, a front end tot Lilypond)

- fluidr3_gm.cfg and fluidr3_gs.cfg are installed, and timidity is configured to use them

- in /etc/security/limits.conf: @audio  soft  memlock unlimited

I have tried a few ways to start RG:

 * start timidity -iA, then start RG.
     o In the Studio->Manage MIDI devices, the correct Timidity port is
       shown as output;
     o I load an example (for instance,  aveverum.rg)
     o Track-parameter and Instrument parameter windows now show
       General Midi, and per track the correct instrument
     o the sound system of the OS shows the alsa-plugin timidity as an
       input stream
     o but no sound when I press "Play" the RG
 * start qjackctl, then start timidity -iA -Oj, then start RG
     o the jack server is started (/usr/bin/jackd -r -dalsa -dhw:STX
       -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xseq)
     o timidity starts with some remarks on the terminal, but keeps
       runing (which is doesn't when started without the jackd server)
         + timidity -iA -Oj
           jack_client_new: deprecated
           Cannot lock down 86611866 byte memory area (Cannot allocate
           memory)
           TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
           Opening sequencer port: 130:0 130:1 130:2 130:3
           Couldn't start JACK device (`j')
           Couldn't start JACK device (`j')
           Couldn't start JACK device (`j')
           Couldn't start JACK device (`j')
     o In the Studio->Manage MIDI devices, the correct Timidity port is
       shown as output;
     o I load an example (for instance,  aveverum.rg)
     o Track-parameter and Instrument parameter windows now show
       General Midi, and per track the correct instrument
     o the sound system of the OS does NOT show anuthing as  an input
       stream
     o again no sound when I press "Play" the RG

I have - apart from numerous other sites - read the postings at
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/483210-Rose-garden-does-not-make-a-sound/
and tried the advises given there (e.g. to stop jackd if RG runs) but they did not help me. It did mention thefact that a short sound is heard when quitting RG, and that's what I experience too.

What can I do to make Rosegarden put out sound?

regards, Jogchum Reitsma